top of page

Landord Advice Given From The NICEIC

Updated: Mar 20

I am a landlord or letting agent - when do I need to use a registered tradesperson?

By law, all private tenancies in England, Scotland and Wales must have an electrical safety check in place. While they are currently not mandatory in Northern Ireland, they are strongly recommended by NICEIC, Electrical Safety First and the wider industry. 

While the legal rules vary depending on where in the UK your properties are situated, the core requirements are consistent. As a private landlord, you must: 

  •  get your property electrics checked at least every five years

  •  use a competent contractor, to carry out an EICR

  •  ensure the electrics meet the required standards

  •  provide your tenant(s) with evidence of the EICR before the start of the tenancy.

 Depending on the outcome of the EICR, additional work may be required to bring the installation up to the required standard. These are indicated by observation codes recorded on the EICR:





Danger present. Risk of injury. Immediate remedial action required.

Potentially dangerous - urgent remedial action required.

Further investigation required without delay.

Observations are a recommended improvement.

Be warned. Failure to undertake an EICR or comply with the recommendations detailed in the report could result in a fine of up to £30,000. Should the work be incomplete or unsafe as a result of your negligence, the local authority is also entitled to get involved to put the work right, with the charge then passed on to you. So don’t get caught out! 

 Where any electrical defects, repairs or maintenance are identified, we would always recommend using an electrical contractor certified with a government approved Part P scheme, such as a NICEIC Domestic Installer (in England and Wales) or Building Standard System (in Scotland).

7 views0 comments


bottom of page